Thursday, September 9, 2010

Learning to sit…

Two weeks have gone by since I have been living here in Moundou with my host family. It truly has been an incredible experience so far, but I am quickly discovering how much of a task based, fast paced North American I am. Life here moves at a different pace. For those of you who have studied African culture or have visited here yourself, you probably have an idea of what I am talking about. In fact I had an idea about what I am talking about…but it is different now that I am truly living it.

After we arrived in Moundou on Wednesday, Pastor Sem, the supervisor of CENTRAM told us that we would have Thursday to settle in, Friday he would come to take us to see the school, and Saturday we would begin language lessons. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday came and went with no word from Sem. We found out later that someone from the church had died and everyone was busy with the funeral. Death here is common. Since I have been here two people that my host family knew well have passed away.

The rain and infrequency of electricity are also factors to contend with. We are in the midst of the rainy season…which, much to my surprise, has allowed for a few cool mornings. I even wore long sleeves two mornings this week! The rain also makes leaving the house very difficult. There is one paved road in Moundou. The rest are dirt/sand and sometimes impassable because of the water and mud. Two days of language lessons have been cancelled because of the rain.

I can’t remember the last time we had electricity. Haha. Actually I can…it was Thursday, the day after I got here, but that was two weeks ago. The whole of Moundou has been in the dark since then…save for the use of small generators and an hour here and there when the lights come on and tease us. Luckily my family uses a generator for a few hours every night. It’s a nice luxury to have. From what I understand, my host mom works as some kind of secretary. She has left for work all week only to return a little bit later having been sent home. For her, there is no work to do without the power.

There is no doubt that these factors contribute to the pace of life here…but they do not make it. People make the pace of life. Over the past two weeks I have been learning how to sit with people. I sit with people on the veranda, I sit with people in the yard, I sit with people in the kitchen. This is something, as North Americans, we are not very good at. We always need a task. And sitting with people for the sake of sitting with people is rare. We always make it awkward. I amazed at the number of people who have come to visit my family since I have been here. They are various friends and family who usually show up unannounced for no particular reason but to visit. We share water, tea, peanuts, and conversation. I am learning to love this slower pace of life and all that comes with it. Being with people shouldn’t require tasks or distractions. People are valuable and interesting enough on their own.

This past week Rose and I started language lessons. We are learning Ngambai…the local language here in Moundou. Right now, it’s very slow going…especially since we are working from French to Ngambai. Learning an African tonal language is hard enough, but learning said language by way of another foreign and still difficult language is another thing entirely. I’m loving it though. It’s a good challenge! I am anxiously awaiting the start of English classes which begin the first week of October. I think I will enjoy teaching…and having a tangible task to focus on! :)

That’s all for now. Thanks to all who are praying. I miss and love you all!

Peace.

Send me mail at:
Amy Roberson
c/o Pastor Sem Beasnael
Universite Evangelique (ISETAER)
BP 59
Moundou, Chad AFRICA

2 comments: